Sunday, February 14, 2016

Google Drive

I started this journey of my masters degree excited to find new ways to use technology in the classroom. During one of my classes, I learned about using Google Drive in the classroom. There are many parts of Google Drive such as: Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Sheets, and Google Forms. There are many ways to use these resources in classrooms today and get students engaged in their work. There are also ways for teachers to use them to make life easier. Below are some exciting ways to use Google Drive in the classroom.
Google Docs: Google docs can be used in the classroom to have students work on collaborative projects. Students will not all have to be gathered around one computer but can all be doing something on their own computer. Students who have access to the internet at home could also work on assignments outside of school. Teachers can collect assignments without having to print anything out.  Students would be able to use this to peer edit each other’s papers. There is also a translate feature where you can translate your document into another language. This would be very helpful to keep your ELL parents informed.
Google Slides: Using Google Slides students can share presentations easily. Students can also collaborate on presentations. Students will not need to be at the same place to work on a group project. There is a built in chat feature that allows students to share ideas about the presentation.
Google Sheets: With Google Sheets you can create a seating chart for your class, record grades, keep track of attendance and behavior, as well as make a class schedule.
Google Forms: Using Google Forms you can make quizzes, and create feedback forms for group work. You can also create mailing addresses which would be helpful at the beginning of the year when you send things out.

I have created a collaborative project for the end of the year. It is a zoo research project and I am so excited to get my students using Google Docs independently. My students will need some guidance using it at first since they are 6 and 7 years old but they love being on the computer and tablets so I know they will love it.
There are many benefits to using Google Drive in the classroom. First, Google Drive is free and it won’t cost you anything to start implementing it into your teaching. Second, it is a great tool for students to work collaboratively on projects because members of the group can work on the same document at the same time. Lastly, Google Drive saves work automatically so the students won’t have to worry about losing their work. This is a tool that even in a first grade classroom I can see my students using for their projects. Is this something that you could use in your classroom?




Resources:
T. (n.d.). 5 Ways to Use Google Drive in the Classroom. Retrieved February 13, 2016, from https://tusd.haikulearning.com/gkerr/tusdconnect/cms_page/view/8863501

Gonzalez, J. (2015, September 25). What's so great about about Google Drive? And why should my students be using it? Retrieved February 13, 2016, from http://www.cultofpedagogy.com/google-drive-for-students/

38 Ideas to Use Google Drive in Class. (2014, August 11). Retrieved February 13, 2016, from http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2014/08/38-ideas-to-use-google-drive-in-class.html

Mohr, S. (2013, August 14). Let Google Drive your Classroom. Retrieved February 14, 2016, from https://youtu.be/8WWu8kN51Gw


2 comments:

  1. Great ideas Jessica! I teach at the high school level and I am very excited about all the possibilities with Google Drive. This master's progress has introduced me to all the new possibilities. Tuesday, we get back to school I think I am going to take a day and walk students through the process of setting up a Google account. Many of my students will have access already, however, I think it will be a worthwhile lesson in order to get all of my students on the same page. We just finished our first unit for the spring semester and I would like to set up projects for the students moving forward. I am going to try an introduce the many features of Google to my students. Students are very tech savvy, but they do not have an understanding of how to use technology for academic purposes. Thank you for sharing your ideas! I look forward to learning more from you and others in our class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was introduced to Google Drive in one of my master's classes. Not all my students have emails so I do some preliminary work in order for my students to work on docs or slides collaboratively. I create a Doc or slide for each group. I then put all the links to those Docs or slides on a separate Doc with group names. I then post that on Edmodo for the students to access. I am getting pretty good and cranking out those docs or slides. It sounds like work but is very rewarding to see the students working collaboratively. They think its magic that they can work on the same slide show together even at their houses! Good luch!

    ReplyDelete